As many of you know I have been releasing free video tutorials for the past 5 months on my YouTube site. In addition to those I have released several written tutorials over the past few years. I have always genuinely believed in giving back to the artistic community in any way that I can. I will continue to release free tutorials as often as I can, time permitting. I currently work 80-100 hours a week, 7 days a week. These tutorials are made on my free time when I am not working. One day I hope to have more time so that I can focus more on making these tutorials.
For the past few months I have been working here and there on a new video tutorial. I finally finished editing the video last week and I currently have 90 minutes of audio recorded out of roughly 144 minutes. It takes approximately one hour to record and edit 5-10 minutes of audio.
I wanted to do something different with this video, something that my other videos lack. One of the limitations of YouTube is that you can only upload videos that are 10 minutes in length. In order to release tutorials longer than that I have to spilt them into smaller parts, which can be a real pain for people to find and watch. Even if I break my videos into smaller sections I still have to increase the video speed drastically. Splitting a two and a half hour video into 10 minute segments isn’t the greatest idea. The Liche Priest video I released was split into 8 segments that ran almost an hour in length. The actual painting time was around 8 hours, so you can imagine how much I had to increase the speed. I found that most people only watched the first part and never really bothered to watch the other 7 parts. Other people would watch the first and second part and then skip to the last part.
I didn’t really like having to break my videos into so many sections, plus I didn’t like having to speed them up so much. It is hard to tell what the artist is doing when you have to increase the speed by 8x, especially when they are going through menus or using commands that you aren’t very familiar with. I spoke to a lot of people and they all wanted the same thing, a video tutorial filmed in real time. I tried this out on a small section of the Nibru painting I did and people really seemed to enjoy watching it in real time. I still had to deal with the 10 minute length issue.
The new tutorial I am working on is filmed completely in real time and has a length of approximately 144 minutes. The actual painting time was 4 hours, so I had to trim it down a little. I didn’t think people would want to sit around for 4 hours watching me paint the same thing…plus trying to make a 4 hour long HD video available for download wasn’t very plausible. Here is the catch, this will be my first video tutorial available for purchase. I plan to bundle my Photoshop brushes and the PSD files with the video so that you can see the different layers I work with. This will be a digital download, as of right now I have no plans on making it available on DVD. I still haven’t set a price tag as of yet, but it will definitely be affordable. I am still not sure if I will release this tutorial with a third party or if I will release it on my own. Sink or swim, we will see how it goes.
The other day I decided to pop on my headphones and listen to the audio I have been recording. To my horror I realized there was a lot of background noise in all of the audio. There was enough that I decided I did not want to release something I wasn’t happy with…especially if I expected people to have to pay for it. After a few minutes of flailing my arms in the air and kicking imaginary objects, I decided to redo all of the audio. It took me 7 hours of testing to find a solution to eliminate most of the background noise and to redo 15 of the 90 minutes I already had. I tried a few different mics, tested it with a few different headphones (my Bose headphones and the Dr. Dre Beats headphones), and tested it on a laptop and a desktop. I also tried a few different audio recording programs. This little endeavor should set me back another week before finishing the video.
In the end I found that Saran-wrapping a Guitar Hero mic to a camera tripod while sitting in the closet using WireTap Studio was the best solution. If anyone needs to find me, I’ll be in the closet.