I’ve been painting a lot of dragons lately, a lot. This isn’t even all of the dragons either. These dragons all have 2-3 forms each, but I’m only going to post a few. I also just painted another four dragons for another client, but I don’t think they are out yet. These paintings are actually pretty old. I think most are 5-7 months old.
Fire dragons, castle dragons, sand dragons, lava dragons, you name it. These first several dragons are for the game Reign of Dragons by Drecom. Ahhhh, now you understand why I’ve been painting so many dragons. It’s all starting to make sense.
The first dragon is a castle dragon. My client wanted me to paint a dragon with a castle on his back, but he also had to be buried in the sand. When I read that I thought “wait, what?” I’m still not quite sure if you can tell the castle is on his back. I think maybe I made the castle too far away. I dunno. This guy had three versions, but you only get to see one. Mwahaha.
Yes I know, I used the bird brush. You gotta use the bird brush to show scale right?? I like birds.
Now that I’m looking back at the painting, where is the hole he was lying in? Dunno. It is gone. Magic explains it right? Magic always explains stuff when we can’t figure something out.
This guy had an advanced version too, but I wasn’t really happy with it. You can usually tell when I’m not really happy with an illustration because I never post it or put it on my site, haha. That isn’t always the case though. Sometimes I just forget or sometimes other people really like an illustration and they want me to post it.
Yup, more dragons and more fire. Oh wait, the other dragons didn’t have fire. I’m good then, whew.
Working on paintings where you take one painting and then make an “advanced” version by adding stuff to the design and changing the colors is actually a lot harder than you would think. I would actually prefer doing an entirely new painting. There is actually one more version of the dragons above, but I think you get the idea.
The problem with trying to make an advanced version is that the normal version still has to look cool, but not so cool that it outshines the advanced version. Now imagine if you have 3-4 versions of the same dragon. It starts to get pretty tough. I mean what else can you do other than add more and more spikes and more and more fire?
Armor tiers in video games usually have this problem too. The low tiers still need to look cool so that the players get excited, but as you progress you start to get to this point where there really isn’t much you can do other than keep adding ridiculous amounts of “stuff.”
I think next time the final form should just be a giant ball of fire that consumed the entire earth.
So these dragons are actually version B of the first pair of dragons. Well, the first pair should actually be three dragons, but I only posted two.
Anyway, the version B dragons are supposed to be “cooler” looking than the version A dragons. One big problem was that the version A dragon had three forms. Technically the first version of the B dragons is supposed to be cooler looking than the third version of the A dragons.
Are you getting confused yet? This makes the whole tier system even more complicated because I had to keep adding more “stuff” to the second and third A dragon, but that was causing them to have more stuff than the first and second B dragon. Of course that meant I had to keep changing the first and second B dragon to make them cooler than the third A dragon.
Originally I didn’t have fire in the first A dragon or the first B dragon. I felt that adding fire would really help sell the idea of an advanced version. My client wanted me to add fire to all five paintings, so it became a little harder to tell the difference between the different versions. You can’t do much with fire other than add more and more fire. Cone of Fire III?
I think after I turned in my finals I ended up having to change all five illustrations 3-4 times each. From the time I was given the commission till the time I received payment, I had spent five months working on just five paintings.
Woo! No more dragons! Well, actually this guy is part dragon. See the wings and tail??
This dude had three versions as well, but I’m only going to post this one. Just imagine two versions with less “stuff” and some color variations and you will get the picture of what the other two look like.
I’ll give you a hint, the other two don’t have fire.
I forgot to mention that the different versions also flip horizontally each time, but I just flipped them so that they are all going the same way for this post. I think it makes it easier to compare them.
This last illustration is for Legend of the Cryptids by Applibot. These guys definitely aren’t dragons. They aren’t even part dragon.
I think this illustration came out four months ago but I never knew about it. Sometimes it is hard to tell when these illustrations come out because they are for mobile games. Usually I just have to go check the Wiki to see if someone posted the pic.
There is also an advanced version of this illustration, but I wasn’t very happy with it. The advanced version isn’t just a version where you add stuff to an existing illustration, the advanced version is a completely different painting. I dunno, if you really want to see it you can find it on that Wiki page I linked. The name of the card is Darkness Distorted Traianos. Crazy name.
I was going to post some of my Theros cards, but I think that would be overkill. I’ll post my Theros cards after more of them have been spoiled.
Now go paint some dragons…and fire.